Parliaments: Roles and responsibilities in good security sector governance
17 November, 2015
This SSR Backgrounder is about the roles and responsibilities of parliaments in good security sector governance (SSG). While parliaments are unique to each political and legal system, all share similar functions that make them central actors in ensuring good SSG in every democracy. This backgrounder explains how parliaments can apply the principles of good governance to the security sector.
This SSR Backgrounder answers the following questions:
- Why are parliaments important for good SSG?
- How can parliaments use their legislative functions to provide good SSG?
- How can parliaments use budget scrutiny to provide good SSG?
- How do parliaments provide democratic oversight of the security sector?
- What constraints do parliaments face in contributing to good SSG?
- How can parliaments support SSR processes?