Security Sector Governance: Applying the principles of good governance to the security sector
17 November, 2015
This SSR Backgrounder is about the concept of security sector governance (SSG). The concept of governance provides a way to understand how power and authority over state and human security are exercised within a state. Applying the principles of good governance to the security sector is the goal of security sector reform (SSR).
This SSR Backgrounder answers the following questions:
- What is governance and what does it have to do with security?
- What is good SSG?
- What is the difference between SSG and good SSG?
- What are some typical features of good SSG?
- What problems does poor SSG cause?
- Why is oversight essential to good SSG?
- How is good SSG related to SSR?