Megan Bastick, Kristin Valasek
Security sector reform (SSR) is increasingly prioritised by governments, and on the agenda of international development, peace and security communities. SSR opens a window of possibility to transform security policies, institutions and programmes, creating opportunities to integrate gender issues.
The integration of gender issues is being recognised as a key to operational effectiveness, local ownership and strengthened oversight. For example, increasing the recruitment of female staff, preventing human rights violations, and collaborating with women's organisations contribute to creating an efficient, accountable and participatory security sector, which responds to the specific needs of men, women, girls and boys.
Despite this recognition of the importance of integrating gender issues in SSR, there has been a lack of resources on the topic. This Toolkit is an initial response to the need for information and analysis on gender and SSR. It is designed to provide policymakers and practitioners with a practical introduction to why gender issues are important in SSR and what can be done to integrate them.
Each SSR context is unique. As such, the strategies and recommendations provided in the Toolkit may not always be directly applicable, and should always be adapted to the local context.
The Gender and Security Sector Reform Toolkit includes:
1. Security Sector Reform and Gender
2. Police Reform and Gender
3. Defence Reform and Gender
4. Justice Reform and Gender
5. Penal Reform and Gender
6. Border Management and Gender
7. Parliamentary Oversight of the Security Sector and Gender
8. National Security Policy-Making and Gender
9. Civil Society Oversight of the Security Sector and Gender
10. Private Military and Security Companies and Gender
11. SSR Assessment, Monitoring and Evaluation and Gender
12. Gender Training for Security Sector Personnel
13. Implementing the Women, Peace and Security Resolutions in Security Sector Reform
Thirteen Practice Notes (4 pages, based on the Tools)
Practice Note 1
Practice Note 2
Practice Note 3
Practice Note 4
Practice Note 5
Practice Note 6
Practice Note 7
Practice Note 8
Practice Note 9
Practice Note 10
Practice Note 11
Practice Note 12
Practice Note 13