- In close coordination with the programme’s Geneva based Project Coordinator, manage all aspects of the implementation of DCAF’s programme in Mali.
- Provide technical, strategic and policy advice to national stakeholders.
- Liaise and coordinate with relevant national and international stakeholders, including executive and legislative authorities, defense and security institutions, community leaders, civil society, media, EU, UN, ECOWAS and other regional bodies.
- Supervise, monitor and evaluate project implementation, including data collection, internal or independent evaluations, course correction or iteration.
- Monitor, measure and provide written reports of political developments and programme results in the Sahel.
- Oversee execution of the approved budgets.
- In close coordination with the Sahel team in Geneva, plan, develop, coordinate and deliver capacity building for security institutions and oversight actors (ministries, parliament, human rights commissions, ombuds institutions, media, civil society organisations, universities, and any other relevant oversight stakeholder).
Candidates should meet the following criteria:
- A minimum of seven years of professional experience working on governance projects in the context of states undergoing transition or democratic reform, preferably in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Demonstrated experience working closely with legislatures, the executive, civil society and security institutions.
- Demonstrated knowledge and expertise on SSR/G, including the provision of strategic steering advice to reform processes.
- Extensive experience delivering and facilitating workshops, seminars, consultations and capacity building activities.
- Demonstrated experience in project planning and design, budget management, project implementation and monitoring and evaluation.
- Experience liaising with donors, embassies, and international organisations in the field.
- Excellent communications skills, and a perfect command of written and spoken English and French.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and experience mentoring staff.
- Excellent organisation skills with strong attention to detail.
- Advanced university degree (or equivalent) in international relations, peace, or security studies.
- Familiarity with the UN, AU, ECOWAS, and other intergovernmental and/or regional organisations.
Position location: Bamako, Mali.
Period of contract: 1 year, renewable.
Deadline for applications is 31 July 2018.
DCAF is dedicated to making states and people safer. Good security sector governance, based on the rule of law and respect for human rights, is the very basis of development and security. DCAF assists partner states in developing laws, institutions, policies and practices to improve the governance of their security sector through inclusive and participatory reforms based on international norms and good practices. Headquartered in Geneva, DCAF has a global portfolio and employs over 170 highly qualified international staff with operational activities in over 70 countries. DCAF is internationally recognized as one of the world’s leading centres of excellence for security sector governance (SSG) and security sector reform (SSR).
DCAF is committed to a diverse workplace free of discrimination. Qualified candidates from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. For further information on DCAF, please visit our website: www.dcaf.ch.
Candidates meeting the qualifications are invited to e-mail their CV with a cover letter explaining their interest and suitability for the position to the address below. Due to the high number of applications, please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Administrative Assistant, Sub-Saharan Africa Division
Ref: Sahel, Sub-Saharan Africa Division