The Geneva Centre for the Democratic Control of Armed Forces (DCAF) is one of the world’s leading institutions in the areas of security sector governance (SSG) and security sector reform SSR). DCAF’s Asia-Pacific Unit provides support to nationally-led SSR processes and regional security sector experience-sharing initiatives in the Asia-Pacific region.
The Asia-Pacific Unit is seeking a part-time Research Assistant working with the Unit’s Head. The position commences on 01 September 2018 (or a mutually agreed date).
Under the direct supervision of the Unit’s Head, the Project Assistant provides research, editing, logistical and administrative support as follows:
- Carry out targeted research, prepare briefing notes and review and update country- and region-wide mappings on security sector requirements and initiatives in the Asia-Pacific region;
- Assist in the review, editing and layout of internal reports and publications;
- Carry out logistical and administrative tasks;
- Perform other tasks as required.
- Graduate student, preferably in political science, international affairs, security studies, law, governance, or related disciplines;
- English mother tongue or fluency in English is essential, other languages highly desirable;
- Outstanding research, writing and analytical skills, including the ability to process and analyse data;
- Demonstrated ability to review, edit and layout texts suitable for publication;
- Demonstrated understanding of security sector governance and reform;
- Familiarity with the work of international organizations and knowledge of and familiarity with countries in the Asia-Pacific region desirable;
- Excellent IT skills; other relevant skills, including strong organizational abilities, communication skills, ability to work under time pressure and with strict deadlines, ability to work independently and with others in an international environment;
- Swiss or EU citizenship or a valid work permit.
The weekly working time is 20 hours. The salary is in line with requirements for this position. DCAF is committed to equality of opportunity for all staff, and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of sex, age, disability, gender identity, or ethnicity.
Interested candidates meeting the qualifications are invited to e-mail their curriculum vitae together with a motivation letter by 01 August 2017 to the Selection Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org (subject: “PA Asia-Pacific”). Interviews will be conducted shortly thereafter. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.