Reporting to: Executive Director
The International Code of Conduct for Private Security Service Providers’ Association (ICoCA), founded in September 2013, is a multi-stakeholder initiative created to promote, govern and oversee the implementation of a Code of Conduct for private security companies that operate in challenging environments. The objective of the Code is to promote increased respect for human rights and humanitarian law and to raise standards of operational conduct throughout the private security industry. The ICoCA’s members include states, members of the private security industry, and civil society organisations. Together, these three ‘pillars’ form the Association’s General Assembly, with each pillar represented equally on the ICoCA’s Board of Directors. The ICoCA Secretariat, based in Geneva, Switzerland, carries out the Association’s principal implementation and oversight functions on behalf of the Board, including certification of member companies, monitoring of their implementation of the Code, and the operation of a complaints mechanism.
The Communication and Outreach Officer will spearhead the Association’s outreach and communications strategy, as well as help to develop and track the Association’s funding base among states and private foundations. The Officer will play a key role in ensuring that the ICoCA is reaching the right audience, using the right media, and will coordinate and manage the development and production of communications materials as well as facilitate opportunities for the Association to liaise with the media, public, Governments, the private sector and potential funders. In this capacity, the incumbent will work closely with the Executive Director, other Secretariat staff, and the Board of Directors.
Essential Job Functions:
- Develop and implement a media, communications and outreach strategy for the Association;
- Act as the media liaison for the Association, including the management of all media contacts and proposing opportunities for media and public engagement;
- Support the Executive Director, Board of Directors and ICoCA staff in engaging with the public, key constituencies, ICoCA membership and in devising strategic messaging and speaking points;
- Track, monitor and evaluate public events and media reports on the Association, and thematic and geographic areas of identified concern;
- Oversee the creation and distribution of press releases, newsletters and content for fundraising materials;
- Oversee the Association’s website and presence on social media; and
- Develop and execute consistent communication to cultivate and grow donor base.
- A minimum of 5 years’ related experience or training in communications and/or development.
- Previous experience managing communications with NGOs, international organisations or in the private sector, is preferred.
- An interest in business and human rights or humanitarian law and policy.
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations or a closely related field, including strong academic credentials, is preferred.
- Excellent (fluent) communication skills in English; both written and oral;
- Strong writing, editing and proofreading skills with exceptional attention to detail;
- Proven understanding of and expertise with print, broadcast and social media;
- Temperament to communicate with a variety of personalities from various cultural and linguistic backgrounds in a tactful, pleasant and professional manner;
- Ability to work cooperatively with others in a dynamic and fast-paced work environment where the work space is often shared.
- Ability to work under pressure and to respond to media and Association deadlines.
- Working knowledge of French, Spanish, Arabic and/or Chinese is an advantage.
- Swiss or EU citizenship, or a valid work permit for Switzerland at the time of application, are a pre-requisite.
Location: Principal location is at the ICoCA Secretariat in Geneva, Switzerland, with some travel anticipated.
Duration: The position will be offered on a one-year contract which can be renewed dependent on performance and availability of funding.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Start date: ideally beginning of September 2018.
Individuals interested in this opportunity should send a CV and motivation letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for the applications is 21 July 2018.
ICoCA is an equal opportunities employer that considers applications from all qualified candidates.