We are looking for an experienced, dynamic and motivated individual to be our next:
Assistant Director and Head of Sub-Saharan Africa Division (SSAD) – 100%
The Sub-Saharan Africa Division (SSAD) sits within the Operations Department and has a significant portfolio of activities across the region, in particular in the Sahel/West Africa, including those managed through field offices in Bamako and Banjul. Engagement in Sub-Saharan Africa is a priority for the organization and its activities in the region are focused on providing a contribution to the 2030 Agenda.
Location: Geneva, with extensive travel to the region
Starting date: 1st September 2018
Under the supervision of the Head of Operations Department, the Head of the SSAD Division is responsible for the strategic, operational and administrative management of the Division’s activities, relations with national and regional counterparts and partners. He provides leadership to a diverse team of highly qualified experts. Candidates should be committed to DCAF’s guiding principles of neutrality, impartiality, gender equality and local ownership.
Key areas of operation:
- Building on the Divisions strong reputation as a trusted partner in the region, the new management team would be expected to:
- consolidate the existing programme and widen its thematic and geographic scope
- reinforce DCAFs reputation as an impartial actor and provider of expert advice and guidance on security sector governance and reform
- further develop its country and substantive portfolio or activities
- consolidate and enlarge DCAFs partner network through cooperation with national, regional and internationals partners.
- The new Head of Division would be expected to expand DCAFs engagement with national actors, the international community and multilateral actors in the region and to enhance DCAFs support to SSG/R at a country and community level.
- At an organizational level the new Head of Division would be expected to:
- contribute to the overall development of the organization
- take a leading role on the sharing of good practice across the organization
- support the capacity development of staff and ensure the rigorous monitoring and evaluation of activities
- broaden the donor base for DCAFs activities in the region and maintain the current high quality of donor reporting
- bring solid progamme management experience, having previous experience in the design, management and monitoring of large development programmes.
- Have an impeccable record for integrity and professional ethical standards.
- Proven management and leadership skills.
- A minimum of 10-15 years progressively responsible experience in the region, security, governance and international development.
- Demonstrated knowledge and expertise on SSR/G, including the provision of strategic steering/advice to reform processes.
- Expert knowledge of Sub-Saharan Africa, including the particular challenges faced by security sector governance in the region.
- Familiar with international policy discussions on SSG/R. They should be able to formulate strategies and design, implement and monitor effective policies and operational responses.
- Strong communicator, a committed team player, a successful networker and a proven track record in multilateral and bilateral fundraising.
- Strong programme management experience and experience of implementing results-based management for development, and preferably SSG/R, programmes.
- a rewarding, dynamic and challenging work experience
- the chance to be part of a multicultural team of supportive, hardworking and values-driven people
- the chance to contribute to improving security of states and their people within a framework of democratic governance, the rule of law, and respect for human rights
If you think you are a good match for DCAF and the position advertised, please send your application to head_SSAD@dcaf.ch by 26 July 2018 with the subject heading “Head of SSAD Division“, enclosing:
- a one-page motivational statement in English describing your relevant experience and what you can bring to DCAF
- a concise CV (maximum two pages)
DCAF is committed to equality of opportunity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of sex, age, disability, gender identity, religion, or ethnicity.