Covering for Maternity Leave
DCAF - Geneva Centre for the Democratic Control of Armed Forces
The Geneva Centre for the Democratic Control of Armed Forces (DCAF) is dedicated to making states and people safer. Good security sector governance, based on the rule of law and respect for human rights, is the very basis of development and security. DCAF assists partner states in developing laws, institutions, policies and practices to improve the governance of their security sector through inclusive and participatory reforms based on international norms and good practices.
Headquartered in Geneva, DCAF has a global portfolio and employs over 170 highly qualified international staff with operational activities in over 70 countries. DCAF is internationally recognized as one of the world’s leading centres of excellence for security sector governance (SSG) and security sector reform (SSR).
DCAF, in a Consortium with the Folke Bernadotte Academy (FBA) and Justice Cooperation Internationale (JCI), is in charge of implementing an IcSP project funded by the European Commission. DCAF is looking for an experienced part-time Administrative Assistant to cover for a maternity leave of 5 months and deliver administrative, logistical and financial support for this Project.
Position: Administrative Assistant (50%)
Reporting to: Project Team Leader
Overview: The Administrative Assistant will be responsible for the administrative, logistical and financial support required for the implantation of the project.
Specific tasks will include but are not limited to:
- Plan missions and deployments and book all local and international travel arrangements for the project team members, including flights, accommodation, ground transportation and security arrangements;
- Organise events and meetings in Brussels and/or Geneva;
- Manage project funds;
- Verify and validate all project expenditure in line with DCAF’s accounting rules;
- Prepare internal and external financial reports in line with DCAF and EU procedures;
- Liaise with the European Commission on financial (income and expenditure) and reporting matters;
- Liaise with DCAF’s Geneva Office on financial and contract-related matters;
- Implement a strict electronic and paper filing system to comply with DCAF’s requirements and audit procedures;
- Draft and format documents (contracts, reports, etc.);
- Day to day administration for the Project Team in Brussels (office supplies, calendar, office rental and related contracts, etc.);
- Manage a database of consultants;
- Other support tasks assigned by the project team and the Geneva Office.
The post holder must be proactive, have a problem-solving approach, and have demonstrated a strong ability to work independently and as part of a multi-disciplinary team under minimal supervision. They must have good interpersonal and communication skills, and an ability to liaise effectively with internal and external points of contacts from various backgrounds and at all levels. The post-holder is expected to have excellent organisational and time-management skills, and the ability to prioritise work.
Previous experience and background:
University degree or equivalent with an administrative and/or project management background. A minimum of five years of experience in a similar position and previous experience on EU projects are required.
Fluency in English and French (written and oral) is required, additional languages are an asset. An advanced knowledge of the European Commission’s administrative and financial procedures is required for this position. The post holder must have very good knowledge of MS Office (Outlook, Word, Lync, and SharePoint). Advanced knowledge of Excel is essential.
- Availability to work 50%, five half days per week;
- A valid work permit for Belgium is required;
- Contract start and end date: 20 August 2018 to 18 January 2019;
- No relocation package will be offered for this position.
Please send your CV and cover letter to: Szalachy Krisztina: email@example.com by 27th July 2018.
DCAF is committed to equality of opportunity for all staff, and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, gender, or ethnicity.
Don't forget to mention EuroBrussels when applying.